L Brands is committed to responsible sourcing of forest products. Our Forest Products Procurement Policy is written to reduce threats to ancient and endangered forests and to avoid products that contribute to deforestation or human rights abuses. We are committed to working with our suppliers to source forest products from certified forestry operations, preferably those that meet Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) standards.
In order to minimize our impact to the world's forests, we work with our suppliers to source paper products that include recycled content and/or are produced with pulp from certified forestry operations, preferably that meet FSC standards. 2015 was our last year of major catalogue production, and our catalogues were entirely comprised of FSC-certified paper. Listed here is a summary of our commitments and the progress we've made.
L Brands' Forest Products Policy:
- Addresses the entire paper and forest products lifecycle; and
- Eliminates suppliers sourcing from endangered forests.
We are committed to:
- Not accepting paper sourced from endangered forests;
- Optimizing the use of FSC and Post-Consumer Waste (PCW) paper.
To demonstrate our commitments, we:
- Phased out paper procured from endangered forests; and
- Contributed more than $1 million for research and advocacy related to protecting endangered forests.
Working with our paper products suppliers, we have reduced the demands on our forests through increased efficiency and by steadily increasing our use of FSC-certified and PCW paper. We accomplished this by:
- Dramatically increasing the use of FSC-certified paper in our Victoria's Secret catalogues. In our last year of large-scale production, we printed entirely on FSC-certified paper;
- Improving the accuracy of our catalogue mailing list;
- Providing a toll-free number (1-800-411-5116) for customers to call if they want to reduce or unsubscribe from catalogue mailings;
- Using FSC-certified or minimum 10% PCW paper in all of our direct mail marketing materials.
- Making our annual reports and proxy statements available electronically on our website and providing printed reports only when specifically requested. Additionally, any hard copy reports are printed with soy ink on FSC Mixed Sources paper.
Man-Made Cellulosic Fibers
Our company is committed to responsible sourcing of man-made cellulosic fibers, including rayon, viscose and modal. We are working with our suppliers in an effort to ensure that we do not knowingly source fabrics from ancient and endangered forests or sources that contribute to deforestation, the loss of High Conservation Values or human rights abuses, and anticipate reaching this goal by the end of 2017. We are committed to working with our suppliers to source man-made cellulosic fibers produced from FSC certified forestry operations or, where unavailable, from certified forestry operations sources that are independently verified to meet our policy. We will report on our progress publicly.