2016 — A Year Of Giving Back
In 2016, our associates were provided with more opportunities than ever before to continue the L Brands legacy of giving generously, and once again their collective response made a significant impact in the community. As associates and as an enterprise we:
- Sponsored more than 11,000 race participants to support the fight against breast cancer through the 2016 efforts of the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure (Columbus, Ohio and New York City) and the American Cancer Society — Making Strides Against Breast Cancer (Kettering) in our home office locations. L Brands' Think Pink team has been recognized by Komen as the world's largest corporate race team for the past seven years in a row. To date, L Brands has donated more than $1.7 million to Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure and American Cancer Society's Making Strides Against Breast Cancer;
- Raised more than $7.5 million and had more than 3,000 associates and their guests participate in Pelotonia, an annual bike ride with one goal, END CANCER, by supporting the ongoing cancer research efforts at The James Cancer Center of The Ohio State University. To date L Brands had raised more than $47 million for Pelotonia;
- Raised more than $8 million for United Way in our home office locations. Since 1997, L Brands and its associates have contributed more than $137 million to the United Way of Central Ohio;
- Donated more than 50,000 associate volunteer hours in the United States, Canada and Asia;
- Invested more than $18.6 million to non-profit organizations in our home office communities through the L Brands Foundation. Since 1993, the L Brands Foundation has contributed more than $217 million to support non-profit organizations in our home office communities;
- Continued assistance through the Associates for Associates Emergency Fund, which was created in response to the devastating hurricanes in 2005. To date, the fund has approved and distributed more than $2 million to assist associates facing hardships due to emergency situations beyond their control;
- Continued to make grants from the Mast Cares fund, which has awarded approximately $3.8 million to international charitable initiatives. Projects have included the rebuilding of two orphanages and a water purification infrastructure in Sri Lanka; a library of "talking books" for the blind in Vietnam; a summer camp for a youth home in Israel; and a donation of boats to fisherman in Indonesia.
At L Brands, we are characterized by a deep commitment to each other and to our communities.We are committedto giving back — as individuals and as an enterprise — and continuing to make a difference!