L Brands is committed to responsible sourcing of paper and forest products. In order to minimize our impact to the world's forests, we work with our suppliers to source paper products that include recycled content and/or are produced with pulp from certified forestry operations, preferably that meet Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) standards. We are proud of our accomplishments, especially related to our catalogues, which are entirely comprised of FSC-certified paper. Listed here is our paper policy, a summary of our commitments, and the progress we've made.
L Brands' paper policy:
- Addresses the entire paper and forest products lifecycle; and
- Eliminates suppliers sourcing from endangered forests.
We are committed to:
- Not accepting paper sourced from endangered forests
- Producing our catalogues with FSC-certified paper
- Optimizing the use of FSC and Post-Consumer Waste (PCW) in other paper uses
To demonstrate our commitments, we have:
- Publicly disclosed results from an independent third party audit of our paper usage
- Phased out paper procured from endangered forests
- Contributed more than $1 million for research and advocacy related to protecting endangered forests
Working with our paper products suppliers, we have successfully been able to reduce the demands on our forests through efficiency measures and by steadily increasing our use of FSC-certified and PCW paper. As a result, more than 95 percent of the paper we purchase is either PCW or FSC-certified. We accomplished this by:
- Dramatically increasing the use of FSC-certified paper in our Victoria's Secret catalogues. They are now printed entirely on FSC-certified paper
- Improving the accuracy of our catalogue mailing list
- Providing a toll-free number (1-800-411-5116) for clients to call if they want to reduce or unsubscribe from catalogue mailings
- Making our annual reports and proxy statements available electronically on our website and providing printed reports only when specifically requested. Additionally, any hard copy reports are printed on FSC Mixed Sources paper and are printed using soy ink
- Using 30 percent print and copy paper
Through these efforts, we hope to encourage the development of more environment-friendly paper policies in our industry.